7. Promoting coordinated development between urban and rural areas and between different regions, and cultivating and strengthening drivers of high-quality development. We will leverage the comparative strengths of each region, and push forward implementation of the rural revitalization strategy and new urbanization initiative.
1) We will ensure thorough and effective implementation of major strategies for regional development. We will put in place the new mechanism for coordinated regional development, push on with work to create a new pattern of large-scale development of the western region, support the full revitalization of all sectors of the economy in northeast China, improve policy support and working mechanisms for the rise of the central region, and continue to support the eastern region in spearheading development. We will further promote integrated development of the Beijing-Tianjin-Hebei region, speed up key projects for the development of the Xiongan New Area, and improve the policy framework for relieving Beijing of functions nonessential to its role as the capital. We will push forward with addressing prominent environmental problems in the Yangtze Economic Belt and systematically protecting and restoring its ecosystems, accelerate the building of an integrated transportation system, and support the renovation of river vessels. We will promote infrastructure connectivity in the Guangdong-Hong Kong-Macao Greater Bay Area, develop the area into an international center for science and technology innovation in an orderly manner, and accelerate the development of Hengqin, Hetao, and other major platforms for greater cooperation in the Greater Bay Area. We will adopt high standards in building demonstration zones for integrated, eco-friendly development of the Yangtze River Delta, and release a plan for integrated development of transportation in the Delta region, as well as a master plan for developing Shanghai’s Hongqiao District into an international hub for opening up. We will act swiftly to formulate and implement a plan for the ecological conservation and high-quality development of the Yellow River basin. We will provide substantial support for the development of the Chengdu-Chongqing economic zone, with the goal of turning this region into a major growth pole for China’s high-quality development. We will also promote the development of new land-sea transit routes for the western region. One-to-one assistance programs will be expanded. We will support ethnic minorities and ethnic minority areas in accelerating development. We will promote innovation, upgrading, and development of major functional platforms such as state-level new areas and development zones, and speed up the economic transformation of resource-dependent areas and the upgrading and transformation of old industrial cities. We will also conduct trials of comprehensive energy reform in Shanxi Province. We will push forward with the construction of demonstration zones for industrial relocation, and build a number of high-end manufacturing centers in inland cities with favorable conditions. We will formulate the Guidelines on Developing the Marine Economy and Building China into a Strong Maritime Country. We will refine the functional zoning strategy and system, and draw up the National Territorial Space Plan (2021-2035).
We will ensure the implementation of a package of policies supporting Hubei Province with regard to its economic and social development, and facilitate its efforts to ensure the job security, basic living needs, the normal functioning of local governments, and the stability of the industrial chains and supply chains, so as to fully restore Hubei’s economic and social order.
2) We will promote people-centered new urbanization. We will work to help people from rural areas adjust better to urban life once they have been granted permanent urban residency, modify relevant policies, and move toward the goal of granting urban residency to 100 million people. We will guide super-megacities in enhancing their high-end factors allocation capacity and international competitiveness, and step up the relocation of nonessential functions to other areas. We will encourage large and medium-sized cities such as provincial capitals and prefecture-level cities to optimize their functions, to shore up weaknesses, and to improve public services, so as to make them comfortable places for people to live and work in. We will encourage county seats to quicken the pace of new urbanization, while addressing any inadequacies with regard to environmental sanitation, municipal utilities, public services, and industrial support, thereby meeting the growing demand among rural residents for working and settling down in county seats. We will boost the development in key sectors of city clusters in the middle reaches of the Yangtze River, the Central Plains, the Guanzhong Plains, and the Beibu Bay area, and on the Shandong Peninsular, launch a number of transportation connectivity projects in key metropolitan areas, and support city clusters and principal cities in enhancing overall carrying capacity and capacity with regard to the optimal allocation of resources. We will enhance the modernization of urban governance, increase the resilience of cities, step up efforts to develop a new type of smart city, and create a “data brain” for cities. We will ensure the implementation of the mechanisms and policies for integrated urban-rural development, and guide reform of national pilot zones for integrated urban-rural development.
3) We will make solid progress with regard to the rural revitalization strategy and consolidate progress in poverty alleviation. We will push forward the integrated development of primary, secondary, and tertiary industries in rural areas. We will support the construction of industrial parks for processing agricultural products, and accelerate the construction of modern agricultural industrial parks, while at the same time developing a number of demonstration parks for the integrated development of rural industries, towns with advantages in terms of agribusiness, and areas for growing local specialty agricultural products. We will also develop a number of key villages for the promotion of rural tourism, take new approaches in developing rural leisure tourism and handicrafts industries with distinctive ethnic or local features, accelerate the growth of new types of services in rural areas, and support agricultural branding. We will improve the policy of ensuring land use for rural industrial development, and strengthen the collective economy. We will step up the construction of modern agricultural facilities, and complete the projects to build auxiliary facilities and update water-saving systems in medium- and large-scale irrigation areas as scheduled. We will continue to upgrade the rural power grid, build rural roads, and accelerate the expansion of broadband internet networks and mobile communications networks in rural areas. With a view to epidemic prevention and control, we will launch extensive village cleaning initiatives. We will make progress in the Toilet Revolution while taking into account local circumstances, improve household waste and sewage treatment, and complete the three-year campaign to improve rural living environments. We will explore the development of a system for supporting green agricultural development, and further monitor and control agricultural pollution from non-point sources. We will push counties to formulate sound plans for the spatial layout of their villages and to roll separate village development plans into a single practical plan. We will carry out trials for comprehensive improvement of rural river systems in selected counties, promote energy development in rural areas, and accelerate the recovery of energy and resources from agricultural waste. We will also continue with the piloting and demonstration of the rural governance model.
8. Developing new institutions for a higher-level open economy and making new progress in opening up. We will actively respond to the damaging effect of the global pandemic, promote high-quality cooperation under the Belt and Road Initiative, and maintain overall stability of foreign investment and foreign trade.
1) We will maintain basic stability in imports and exports. We will vigorously diversify foreign markets, and support our enterprises in holding online negotiations and exhibitions to boost cooperation and expand markets. We will assist and encourage exporters in exploring the domestic market, in an active effort to mitigate the impact of dwindling foreign demand. We will support new forms and models of foreign trade, such as cross-border e-commerce and the market procurement trade, in growing more quickly. We will elevate the opening up and development of integrated bonded areas to a higher level. We will launch another round of trials for encouraging innovation in developing the trade in services. At the same time, we will also strive for stability in the processing trade. While controlling risks, we will support an increase in short-term export credit insurance business with lower premiums, and launch special policy schemes for medium- and long-term credit insurance on exports. We will make active preparations for the third China International Import Expo. We will also actively participate in the development of international logistics and supply chains to ensure the smooth shipment of cargo worldwide.
2) We will make greater use of foreign investment. We will enforce to the letter the Foreign Investment Law as well as the supporting rules and regulations. We will significantly shorten the negative list for foreign investment, and further open up the service, financial, manufacturing, and agricultural sectors. We will continue to attract foreign investors while creating a comfortable and stable environment for them, expand the catalog of industries for foreign investment, and help more major foreign-funded projects come to fruition. We will publicize the experiences gained in further opening up the service sector. We will improve services for foreign-funded businesses, and ensure that both foreign and domestic enterprises are entitled to assistance from our epidemic relief policies. We will give more publicity to China’s investment environment and policies to attract international resources and factors of production to China in a well-ordered way. We will further leverage the role of foreign loans, medium- and long-term foreign debt, and other low-cost capital, and guard against debt risks.
3) We will strive for high-quality cooperation with regard to the Belt and Road Initiative. We must act on the outcomes of the second Belt and Road Forum for International Cooperation. We will push forward practical cooperation with key countries and international organizations and increase our ability to prevent, control, and address risks. We will take solid steps to increase connectivity with neighboring countries, steadily advancing the development of the China-Mongolia-Russia, China-Pakistan, and China-Indochina Peninsula economic corridors. We will continue to promote the high-quality development of China-Europe freight train services, while pursuing closer cooperation in building the Digital Silk Road. We will encourage more people-to-people exchanges in order to build stronger public support for the BRI. We will also ratchet up sub-regional cooperation.
4) We will speed up the development of opening-up pacesetters. We will deepen reform and opening up in special economic zones. We will accelerate pilot reforms of pilot free trade zones, and give pilot free trade zones greater decision-making power over reform, so as to achieve more, high-quality results of institutional innovation that can then be replicated and applied in other areas. We will issue a comprehensive plan for developing the Hainan Free Trade Port, ensure that preliminary policies and arrangements are put into action, and introduce a negative list for cross-border trade in services in this area. We will set up more pilot free trade zones and integrated bonded areas in the central and western regions. We will promote the opening up and development of border areas and support the development of key pilot zones for development and opening up in these areas.
5) We will promote the stable, healthy development of outbound investment. While ensuring that enterprises play the principal role in outbound investment, we will provide better category-specific guidance, and work to improve the composition of China’s outbound investment. We will steadfastly develop international cooperation on production capacity, diversify overseas markets, and boost the global reach of Chinese equipment, technologies, services, brands, and standards. We will improve policies and services for outbound investment, and create a favorable environment for producer services such as design, consultation, accounting, certification, and legal services in order to go global quickly, while making it easier for enterprises to build overseas warehouses in light of local conditions. We will actively broaden third-party market cooperation. We will also guide enterprises in improving their compliance management for overseas operations, ensure their business activities abroad are procedure-based, and strengthen overseas risk prevention.
6) We will actively participate in global economic governance. We will, as ever, staunchly safeguard the multilateral trade system while actively participating in reform of the World Trade Organization and other multilateral organizations. We will implement the strategy of developing higher-level free trade zones, work to realize the adoption of the RCEP Agreement as scheduled, and accelerate negotiations on establishing the China-Japan-RoK Free Trade Area.